Arranging Support and Services

This procedure should be used when a final personal budget has been agreed, Care and Support Plan (or Support Plan) has been signed off and services are to be arranged.

Note: This procedure is used by all social work teams.

See the Commissioning and Brokerage Procedure.

The Commissioning and Brokerage Procedure contains the processes for arranging a host of services.

When the Care and Support/Support Plan has been signed off you should proceed to arrange the Direct Payment as set out in the plan.

Direct Payments should be arranged in line with local processes and requirements.

See the Direct Payment Procedure for further information.

When agreed any urgent and interim support should be arranged using the Commissioning and Brokerage Procedure.

Professional support is on-going support that you intend to personally provide to the person/carer that is outside the statutory requirement to arrange, monitor and review services.

Examples of professional support include:

  1. Long term planning and monitoring;
  2. Regular Wellbeing visits;
  3. Advocacy support;
  4. Counselling.

You should discuss and agree the need to provide professional support with your line manager, as often the support may be better provided by someone from within the person's/carer's informal networks or a person or organisation with specialist skills.

If you do provide professional support the existence of the support should be clearly visible from the person's/carer's records.

You must keep proportionate records of all professional support provided and ensure that the need for professional support is reviewed regularly through statutory review functions and supervision.

Alternative services are services or methods of support in a Care and Support/Support Plan that meet an eligible need but cannot be directly commissioned by adult social care. They include things like:

  1. Housing;
  2. Welfare benefits;
  3. Health provision;
  4. Colleges and training centres;
  5. Specialist transport services;
  6. A community based group or church; and
  7. A charitable support group.

Under the Care Act the duty to meet eligible needs is only discharged from the Local Authority when any alternative services to meet that need are in place. This means that you must be satisfied that:

  1. The person/carer (or their representative) will make appropriate and timely arrangements to meet eligible needs through the alternative services identified;
  2. The alternative services identified are available and can be provided in a timely way.

You must also consider any support that the person/carer may need to arrange the alternative service and whether the advocacy duty applies.

If you have any concerns that eligible needs may not be met by an alternative service in the time or manner intended you must take steps to:

  1. Monitor the situation;
  2. Plan and agree what action the Local Authority will take if the alternative service is not provided to ensure that its duty to meet eligible needs is met (this could be the provision of interim support during any periods of delay).

In some situations it may be appropriate and proportionate to support the person/carer to make arrangements to access the alternative service in order to be satisfied that the service is in place and meeting needs as set out in the Care and Support/Support Plan. You can support the person/carer to arrange the service yourself or you could ask another person (such an advocate or family member) to do this. If a person with care and support needs is already in receipt of paid support from an agency they may also be able to assist.

Any on-going need for support to access an alternative service on a regular basis should have been identified as part of the Care and Support planning process (for example if support is required each week to arrange specialist transport) and appropriate long term arrangements should be in place. If this is not the case you must explore methods for meeting this need with the person/carer (or their representative) from a strengths based approach, and make best use of the services and support already available in the Care and Support /Support Plan (for example the task could be added to the care plan of a domiciliary care agency).

If there is no appropriate and proportionate way to meet the need from within the current Care and Support /Support Plan a review may be required.

An individual who has been financially assessed as able to afford the full cost of the services to meet their eligible needs (self funding) can choose to arrange and manage those services without the involvement of the Local Authority unless:

  1. They lack capacity to do so; and
  2. There is no other appropriate person to make and manage the arrangements on their behalf.

If an individual does not wish to arrange/ manage the services they can request the Local Authority do so. In these circumstances the Local Authority has a duty to arrange/manage the services as requested with one exception: the service to be arranged is a residential or nursing placement.

In the case of residential or care home placements the Local Authority can decide whether or not to arrange or manage the services unless:

  1. The person lacks capacity; and
  2. There is no other appropriate person to arrange/ manage the placement on their behalf; in which case
  3. The Local Authority must arrange and manage the placement.

Sometimes an individual may request support to arrange services, but feel able to manage them when they are in place.

If the Local Authority has agreed to (or has a duty to) arrange the services a Care and Support Planning process is not required and your role may involve things like:

  1. Facilitating communication between the individual and a service provider;
  2. Communicating with a service provider on the individual's behalf; and
  3. Supporting the individual to complete any paperwork required to arrange the service.

A record of the support provided in arranging the service should be made in the individual's electronic file.

When the service is arranged you must explain to the individual what steps they should take if:

  1. They feel unable to manage their service in the future; or
  2. They require further support from the Local Authority to arrange a different service; or
  3. Their financial circumstances change.

Charging to arrange services

The Local Authority is legally entitled to charge an administration fee for making arrangements for self funders when:

  1. Asked to do so by the individual; and
  2. The individual has capacity to make the request; and
  3. The services are not care home provision.

If an individual requests the Local Authority both arranges and manages their services, and the Local Authority agrees to do so (or has a duty to do so) those services must be arranged and managed as per any other service.

This means a Care and Support Plan must be developed and reviewed.

If at any time the individual becomes unhappy or concerned about the manner in which the Local Authority is managing their services you should explain to them the option to manage the service independently still exists, so long as:

  1. They continue to be self funding; and
  2. There is no legal obligation for the Local Authority to manage the service.

Charging to arrange services

The Local Authority is legally entitled to charge an administration fee for making arrangements for self funders when:

  1. Asked to do so by the individual; and
  2. The individual has capacity to make the request; and
  3. The services are not care home provision.

Out of area services can be arranged when:

  1. There are no appropriate services locally; or
  2. In the case of a permanent placement, the person with care and support needs has made a request that has been agreed under the Wellbeing principle; or
  3. The person with care and support needs lacks capacity and an out of area placement has been agreed as in their best interests.

When people move from one area to another area the continuity of care arrangements set out in the Care Act apply.

See the Continuity of Care Arrangements Procedure.

Sometimes a person with care and support needs is ordinarily resident in the Local Authority area but spends regular time staying in another area. For example:

  1. The person may be a University student;
  2. The person may stay with family in another area to give their normal carer a break.

If the person has an eligible need during the time that they are away you must ensure that this need is met.

The following is brief guidance to the possible impact on ordinary residence of out of area placement or support.

Also see Ordinary Residence Procedure.

Temporary homecare or respite

Providing homecare or respite support on a temporary basis in another area has no impact on ordinary residence status.

Permanent residential care, nursing care, supported living or shared lives

Placing a person with care and support needs into residential care, nursing care, supported living or a shared lives scheme has no impact on ordinary residence when:

  1. There were no appropriate or available local services; or
  2. The person lacks capacity and the Local Authority decided it was in their Best Interests to be placed out of area; or
  3. Regardless of local services, the Local Authority has deemed the out of area placement to be crucial to promoting the person's Wellbeing.

The person's ordinary residence may be affected when:

  1. There are appropriate and available local services; or
  2. The person has capacity to decide where to live; or
  3. The person lacks capacity and the decision to place them out of area was made by a Deputy or Donee of a Lasting Power of Attorney with the authority to make the decision.

Permanent Extra Care

Extra Care provision is not set out as a regulated care provision in the Care Act. This means that ordinary residence could be affected, regardless of the availability of local services or their capacity if:

  1. The person has connections to the new area (family, friends, work, education or professional support networks); and
  2. There is a clear purpose for them moving to that area.

Last Updated: April 6, 2022